Ashoka Pillar, Lumbini
The Ashoka Pillar in Lumbini is one of the 3rd Century stone pillars built under the reign of Emperor Ashoka. It was erected as a mark of respect by Ashoka after he visited Lord Buddha's place of birth and decided to accept Buddhism. These facts make the pillar a significantly important attraction in the country. It bears the oldest inscription compared to the rest of the Ashoka Pillars, thus marking that it was the first-ever such structure built. The pillar is located inside the serene Maya Devi Temple complex and is quite a stimulating structure to visit because of its interesting and motivating history. This 6-metre tall pink sandstone structure was rediscovered by Nepalese archaeologists in 1896.